
Most of the time I try and make whole wheat version of anything I bake. But I really wanted to try the original recipe for this one before I started making any changes to it. I saw it on Martha Stewart Living and it looked really easy and fun to do with the kids. The scone/biscuts turned out great. I did use Kirkland brand soy milk instead of regular milk and I didn't have parchment so I just used cooking spray. It seemed to work fine and the kids loved them. We ate ours with honey butter. I even froze a few right on the cookie sheet before baking them and then threw them in a plastic bag for another day.
Makes about 18 scones.
Ingredients:
6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
2 t. salt
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 heaping tablespoon baking powder
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
4 large eggs (3 in the mix, 1 for the egg wash )
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons milk
Granulated sugar, for sprinkling
Directions:
Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, superfine sugar, and baking powder. Make a well in the center and add butter. Using your fingers or pastry blender work butter into flour mixture until a crumbly mixture is formed.
In a medium bowl, whisk together 3 eggs and milk. Add milk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface; knead lightly and shape into a round. Roll dough out until it is 1 inch thick. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out scones and transfer to prepared baking sheets.
In a small bowl, beat remaining egg and brush the top of each scone( be careful not to drip egg down the sides it will keep the biscut from rising up); sprinkle each with granulated sugar. Transfer baking sheets to oven and bake until a light golden brown and cooked through, 12-14 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack and let cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy!


4 comments:
Girl you cease to amaze me! How do you do all you do? You're wonder woman & I'm so jealous. I'd love to try to make these but don't even have time to bake dinner. ;) They look delicious!
Looks delicious! I'll have to give them a try! I'm always looking for a new and easy recipe!
These look so yummy!
Sounds yummy! And I love those pics of your kids! Grayson pushes his nose against his playpen like Sophie, too -- hilarious! Aren't kids just so much fun?! :)
Post a Comment