Saturday, October 24, 2009

Whats been going on here?!

Below you'll find some random pictures of what we've been doing lately. And an update on Layla's surgery. Enjoy

This is a picture of Layla in the hotel room in Salt Lake right before we left for the hospital. The hotel we stayed in is called the Carlton it's right on South Temple. Just down the road from P.C.M.C. The building was built in 1929! I love staying in places with history. They had great rates and an awesome breakfast was included with our stay. (awesome as in really good omelets, not crusty old donuts and juice) They had amazing customer service and good sized clean rooms. The room decor was a little outdated. But I'd trade that for clean and free breakfast any day of the week.

This is a cute picture of Todd and Layla on our stay up North when we went up for our first appointment before the surgery.

Grayden lost his first tooth! He's so proud.

And Sophie cheesing it up on a quick drive up to Smiths Mesa to drop the horse off.
(grandma and grandpa's horse)
Layla update:
She's done with her surgery and as far as we know perfectly healthy. We'll know the full success of the operation when they do some imaging in a few months. Probably just after Thanksgiving. The interesting part about the surgery is that her Hydronephrosis was a really different case. Instead of the bubble blocking the ureter, it was actually being drained right into. And then being emptied when she'd eliminate. So basically it was like she had two bladders. One big and one small. The problem was that the left kidney could only empty as much as the small bubble could hold. So the urine was backing up in the kidney and causing it to dilate. The Doctor ended up just making a hole into the bubble so that it could drain into the bladder. Hopefully this will do the trick. She's on a type of mini antibiotic right now called Septra. That should help keep her from getting anymore infections until we know for sure that the surgery worked. I was so proud of Layla, she was quite the little trooper. The poor kid couldn't eat anything after 6:45 A.M. She was supposed to go in at 10:45, but didn't get in until almost 12:00 P.M. That's 5 hours! Any of you with babies know that a hungry baby is like a ticking time bomb. I remember thinking as the seconds passed that she was going to start screaming any minuet. But she was sooo good. Every ones prayers really helped. Stan just rocked her in the waiting room chair and she stayed fast asleep. They had us dress her in the cutest little hospital gown and pants. I got a picture with our phones. I haven't figured out how to get the pictures onto our computer yet. She ended up just wearing the gown because she pooped all over the bottoms. lol When I went in to get her after the surgery,she was still sleeping peacefully. It took forever to get her to wake up. I have to admit. I was a little scared when she wouldn't come out of it right away. Anesthesia makes me nervous. After a bit she finally came around enough that they let us take her home. And then she still slept the whole drive home. The next couple of days she was really grumpy ( they warned us she would be ) and she had a scratchy throat from the breathing tube. We're so grateful to Primary Children's for taking such good care of us. And to all the family and friends who were praying for us. It's so amazing what the hospitals can do now days. Layla's condition was so easy to fix, but is something that would have easily taken her life 50 years ago. We are so blessed:)

4 comments:

The White's said...

We'll continue to pray that all went well and that the surgery was successful. I am glad that she is doing so well.

Chelsi Lasater said...

I'm so glad it went well!! Call me when you can. I love you!! PS. tell Grayd congrats!!

Jenny said...

oh so good to hear things went well with layla. she looks so sweet and happy in all her pictures. what a cute little trooper :)
i too love clean hotels with breakfast. oh and i voted for your elf page- good luck!

Natasha said...

I'm so glad that things went well and that she is doing good. There is nothing worse then having a sick child. I hope it just continues to get better for her and your family.

Blog Archive