Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I SEE DIAPERS!



If any of my readers out there have had a child in diapers ( I know that most of you have ) you know how much "fun" changing, disposing of and even just keeping a good stock of diapers is. And if you're lucky enough to have 2 diaper age children, that's even better. Well today was a particularly depressing diaper milestone for me. I broke down and decided to try the Costco brand diaper. Not that I'm against Costco. I've just been avoiding the warehouse size box and price. I know, I know. When you do the math the Costco diapers come out to be only .21 cents a piece and other diapers are like .42 or something like that. It's just less painful to spend way less on a smaller box even though your paying more per diaper. Right? Well between the size 4's I bought for my 2 year old and the size 1's I bought for my 6 week old we're looking at just about $70.00! As I left Costco I was trying not to think of the new pair of shoes I could have bought. Or after a year the furniture I could have afforded, and even then after a few more years the small Island I could own. Then I reminded myself that I just bought 402 diapers and I shouldn't have to make a diaper run for at least a month right? Hhmmm...we'll see. On the drive home I started thinking about how far diapering has come in the last 20 years. Every time I change a baby in front of Stan's Grandma Dutton she always makes a comment about how lucky we are to have disposable diapers and wipes. Remembering this sent my mind to thinking about washing out rags in the toilet and hanging them out to dry on a line. IN EVERY SEASON! OK, I guess I'd pretty much pay anything for our modern conveniences. Even the brave Eco-friendly women who choose to use cloth diapers these days have it so much better than our female fore bearers. Awesome inventions like Velcro, elastic and microfiber make me almost want to try it.

(ALMOST) Maybe if I didn't have 4 kids under the age of 6 I'd give it a whirl. Mostly, It's a time issue. I have considered buying a few cloth diapers and some of the washable inserts to put in my emergency food storage. Hey, if some huge catastrophe happened and we're all down to using leaves or our useless currency to wipe our ..... well you know. I'm sure smartly made cloth diapers could be quite a valuable commodity. This brings me to a real deep question... Has anyone ever thought that in a real disaster toilet paper will be worth more than money?

See so when I'm buying diapers I'm not just flushing our money away, not only am I buying myself some free time and personal sanity I'm making an investment.
So for the time being I'll try not to drive my 2 year old crazy by asking her for the bazillionth time if she wants to go pee-pee on the potty. And I'll keep telling myself "this too shall pass".

9 comments:

Megan said...

I hear ya. I am so glad Anna is potty trained so I am only buying diapers for one. LOL. So I shouldn't complain to you ;) I have thought about the 'G' diapers - but even though I would probably be spending the same amount of money from birth to age 2 - it is so much money up front that I just can't seem to do it. And I think I use the 'this to shall pass' quote a couple of times a week ;)

fourangels said...

I hear ya! We had 3 in diapers for a time. It it hard to gulp back the money at Costco but only going once a month is such a relief. You also know how much to budget for! Such positives when thinking about the crap of life! There are better days ahead... I promise! Soon you'll agonizing over Princess or Dora panites!

Jenny said...

I'm just waiting for the day (approximately 2ish more months) until the potty training attempts begin! I HATE buying diapers, but I would and do buy them over and over vs having to actually use cloth ones. I can't even go there....

Congrats to those "green" celebs who do it....or pay someone else to ;) I'll stick with disposables.
Oh and btw, I liked the costco kirkland brand better than huggies, so go figure.

Jen said...

I'd like to train Henry earlier than I did Grace for this very reason. Great philosophical post on something which affects many of us.

horsesaytheresay said...

Wow . . . what a wonderful philosophical daughter I have . . . I enjoy the light you put on this WHOLE issue . . . $$ Love you and gain more from YOU every day . . .;O)

Chelsi Lasater said...

Hang in there, oh wise one! xoxo

The White's said...

I am really nervous about having 2 kids in diapers, especially since it will probably be for quite a while since Carter is no where near potty training days, but I do have to say I buy my diapers at Costco, and when we were pregnant we bought a box every time we went into the store and I didn't have to buy any diapers for Carter for the first 4 months, except for Newborn size ones. It does pay off in the end even though it seems like a ton of money up front. Plus I love the Kirkland Signature brand diapers.

Amy Lee said...

I just let my 2 year old go naked. I have mostly vinyl and tile floors in my house. A paper towel or two cost so much less than a diaper. Now he goes in the toilet all of the time if he is naked. Hey, we have missed you at picnic on Tuesdays. Try to come soon and show off that baby!

Amanda Borden said...

I loved this post!!! It was a fun read. You know I didn't want to have 2 kids in diapers ever and I vocalized that to one of my brothers (Dave) and he said, "you know Amanda, there are much worse things than having 2 kids in diapers". It was that sheer wisdom that made me laugh through it and guess what??? I have almost always had 2 in diapers, and that is okay... I have come to know.

Blog Archive