Tuesday, September 29, 2009

( Hydro-nephr-osis )

The word of the day is.....
Hydronephrosis: The distention (dilation) of the kidney with urine, caused by backward pressure on the kidney when the flow of urine is obstructed.

Two Saturdays ago Layla had an ultrasound done of her kidneys and one was showing up larger than the other one. So they scheduled a test for us called a V.C.U.G. It's the one where they put dye up into the bladder and do some imaging tests to see if the urine is refluxing up into her kidneys. The good news was that she didn't have reflux, but the bad news was they were seeing some other problems so they sent us up to Primary Childrens to do some more tests.

The appointment @ P.C.M.C. went well. We found out that Layla has something called Ureter Seal, Hydronephrosis, uhhhmmm...what? Basically she has a pingpong shaped bubble in her bladder that is blocking the ureter or tube that goes from the kidney to the bladder. Scary as this sounds I guess the operation to fix it is a very simple procedure. No cutting required. They basically go in and pop the bubble. We were very happy to find out that both of her kidneys are still working fine and that 75% of the time this operation works great and she won't need any further treatments. We're coming home from Ogden tomorrow but, her appointment is on tues. the 6th. So we'll be coming back up after the weekend.

Both Stan and I are very happy that this is something that can be taken care of. And once the operation is over this should go back to normal. (whatever that is?) We were however blown away that the hydronesnfulufugus or however the heck you say it, (Let's just call it the bubble) is something one in 15,000 babies get!!!! The Urologist Dr. Snow was really a nice guy. He said,"you both thought she was special", "now you know she is!"

Layla is doing great. She doesn't look sick at all. In fact I think if anything she's gained weight these last couple of weeks. Her favorite pain medication just happens to be "MILK".

We've been in Ogden since Saturday night and all the aunts and uncles have been enjoying her very much. Thanks again for all the phone calls and well wishes we've received. I promise to keep you all updated. Hope you enjoy the cute pics from our trip.

Sunday Dinner:
L to R : Bryan, Meghan, Gil and Layla, me, Stan, Pappa Todd.

The kid table with Auntie Amber on guard.

Oh, how sweet!
She's a cat napper!
Uncle Gil loves the babies.

They could be twins!

9 comments:

Chelsi Lasater said...

keep me updated babe!! let me know if you need anything!!

Megan said...

Your poor little girl has been through so much already. She still looks as happy and healthy as ever though - what a trooper. I hope that the surgery goes well and you can get back to **normal**. I will be thinking and praying for you guys. Keep us posted!

Hirschisquirts said...

I'm so glad she'll be able to get better - the little sweet angel. Dr. Snow is Rhett's urologist too and I really like him. We miss you and will keep her in our prayers.

Jenny said...

Goodness, your poor baby girl. What a trooper- you too! I'm glad that it's something that is treatable and a non-invasive surgery. She sure doesn't look sick- she's adorable and happy! Good luck!

Kemp Family said...

I know this is a little silly but if you want to break up the Term it would be Hydro-nephr-osis. Hydro means water, nephr means kidneys (it's the term for the specialized cells of the kidneys, nephrons), and osis means a process, condition, or state, usually abnormal.
I'm glad that everything is ok, and that it's not as serious as it sounds. She's beautiful! Hope everything goes well for you.

mommy princess said...

Thanks for the proper break down of the word. I wasn't really sure what it was I just wanted people to know how to say it. We're glad she's going to be ok.

horsesaytheresay said...

It was such a nice visit!! Maybe all the prayers made it so . . . in such a small space we really had fun ;O) Thanks for the prayers everyone xoxoxo

Bloxham family said...

Well I hope everything goes well for Layla tomorrow. It's no fun being a mom sometimes don't ya think? I sure it will be harder on you than her tomorrow...so good luck with everything

2-Fold said...

I am so sorry you have to go through this and you are right, sick babies are no fun. We will keep her in our prayers.

Blog Archive