Tuesday, February 1, 2011

In a dinner rut? Give these a try ;)

I stayed in my P.J.’s all day today. I should be receiving my monthly visitor in a few days, and I can already feel my body dragging. I hate it because I have no motivation, and I hate everyone and everything for no particular reason. I hate it because I’m not that sort of person at all. (Notice all the usage of the word hate?) I’m always happy and ready to tackle the next big project. But now that I've been having a consistent period for the last 6 months I get to go to doom and gloomsville for about 5 days every month. So Stupid! lol
Anyway...tonight I tried a new biscuit recipe for dinner. I finally got some rave reviews from my little food critics. Lately I haven't been doing so hot. Either I screw the food up somehow (burning uhmmm...I mean it’s Cajun style!) or I don’t screw it up, but they still don’t like it. Tonight I got thank you’s across the board and even a hug :) Wow! Maybe I won’t throw in the cooking towel. Oh, by the way the recipe is a Whole wheat, cheesy, sweet potato biscuit. They turned out very close to the texture of the cheesy biscuits that they serve at Red Lobster. We also had T-bone steak and roasted asparagus. Here’s the recipe if you want to try them out:


Note: these are drop biscuits. It saves me the time of not having to scrub off my counter when I do it this way.
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 cup whole wheat flour
6 tsp. baking powder
3 teaspoons white sugar
2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shortening
1 ½ cup mashed sweet potatoes ;plus ¼ cup heavy cream (optional) I had some in my fridge I needed to use up and I used it to smooth out my blended canned sweet potatoes.
½ cup milk
¾ cut thinly shredded cheese

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the shortening until pieces of shortening are pea-sized or smaller. Mix in the sweet potatoes, and milk. It will make a thick sticky dough. Now fold in the cheese.
Use a spoon or mechanical scoop to drop desired sized biscuits onto greased cookie sheet. I made mine a little larger than a ping pong ball.

Bake for 12 to 15
minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown.
This recipe makes about 22 biscuits.

Enjoy :)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Your post makes me laugh. Though I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like they are a completely different person once a month ;)

Blog Archive