
Have any of you ever heard of a produce co-op??? Well for those of you saying a what-what? This morning I went to my very first one. I got my behind out of bed at 7:30 this morning so I could go over and see just exactly what it's all about. I have to admit it wasn't really that hard to wake up. In fact I woke up about 4 times last night to check the alarm clock. It was almost like waiting for Christmas, but more like Veggiween or Fruitsivas. Basically an angelic group of people have made it possible for anyone to afford healthy fruits and veggies.
How it works:
Every 2 weeks they make a huge wholesale produce order that gets split up between about 95 people. It's based off the season and price. So your order isn't ever the same. I was very impressed with the freshness and quality of everything. Having more veggies and fruits in my home is going to make my N.Y.R.(New Years resolution) goals happen for sure! After the first initial order of your basket you can then add on extras. ie; whole grain bread, dessert bread, granola, artisan breads. That stuff is also never the same.
I had to log on to the Bountiful baskets website on Tuesday. It's first come first serve basis. I placed my order and then not so patiently waited for Saturday to come. For about $15.00 I got a whole variety of fruits and veggies. And for $10.00 more I got an extra Italian pack that included fresh basil, parsley, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, onions, and an egg plant. I'm not quite sure what to do with the egg plant, thank goodness for the Internet. Any ideas? For an other $20.00 I also included 5 loaves of Great harvest quality whole grain bread and 2 1 lb. bags of homemade all natural granola(very yummy). The pick up time for the produce was 9:00, but I wanted to see how everything worked. So from 8:00-9:00 I carried,counted, sorted, and squashed boxes. It was great exercise, and fun to be with friends all working together for a great cause. However one thing I'm planning on doing different on my next orders is to rotate taking one of my boys with me. It will be good for them work a little for the food they eat.
Thanks Diana for giving me the heads up on this great program. And thanks to my long lost play group friends (lunch at the park is also on my N.Y.R. I miss you girls) for posting the info on the blog, so that I was reminded to follow through with my good intentions that I created whilst talking with Diana. What would I do with all you wonderful women in my life to help me get through?


8 comments:
I'm the site coordinator for South Jordan! Thanks so much for supporting your VSC---we appreciate all the volunteers and help we can get. Thanks for spreading the word!
I've been meaning to do that since cassi filled me in on it! It looks awesome--better get my butt in gear and do it!
I loved my basket today as well! So fun to have a few things in the house that I don't usually buy!
ratatouille
Our book group is the last thursday of this month at my house 7 to 830 pm. I added you on facebook, and I'll send you a note from there.
I love Bountiful Baskets! So awesome. I haven't gone for a while, but looking at all the fresh produce you got yesterday makes me want to start again. It would totally help with my "NYR's" :)
Ratatouille is a yummy way to use your eggplant, zucchini, and some of your tomatoes and onions. I also found a yummy recipe that uses fresh parsley, let me know if you want the recipe. The basic ingredients are sausage, onions, penne pasta, and fresh parsley. It may sound weird when you read the ingredients, but it is YUMMY!
I have been meaning to do this - I have heard so much good stuff from Cassi yet I am so confused by the site. I need to get on it because eating fresh fruits and veggie isn't so easy during the Winter months and this too would help with my NYR ;) I like that it was like Christmas morning for you. lol. You crack me up.
Here is the Ratatouille recipe site:
http://www.bhg.com/recipe/vegetables/ratatouille/
Last time I made it I served it plain, I didn't know what to serve it with. Well, since then I have visited with Pres. Lundeen, he said in France they serve it over a bed of couscous or you could use rice. Anyway, we had fun trying it. It was good enough that we are going to have it again. Good luck!
Post a Comment