Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Boys that bounce and Spring SNOW!




So the recent weather has really got me questioning this whole global warming thing. As of this weekend it's official, "Hurricane Valleys Peach crop is a BUST." Last year we had something like a couple hundred thousand lbs. of peaches and this year we might be lucky to get 1 thousand. It's a good thing I'm a procrastinator and I didn't get in my spring veggies last week like I wanted to. This weather would have demolished everything. Heck I'm even wondering if my so called winter peas will even survive this. The baby birds have grown so much and I'm glad to report that they have plenty of feathers to keep them warm in storm.
Our Easter weekend was chilly, but fun. On Saturday we enjoyed a pot luck lunch that boasted a melting pot of goodies ( amazingly there wasn't a single copy cat jello or potato salad ) with the Wright family. The kids collected their weight in eggs and candy in the 6 and a half minuet egg run. And on Friday we were able to support our Nephew Willy Billings while he gave his mission homecoming talk. The place was packed and I was a little miffed they didn't open up the rest of the gym. There were chairs and bodies all over both the foyers and hallways. My kids were an absolute nightmare the whole hour. 1) There was still Easter sugar coursing through their veins. 2)Cousins were running amuck on every side. 3) Our block starts at 1:PM.
(Not the best time for any mother with kids of napping age.)
After the meeting we went up to the Billing's and yet again gorged ourselves with all kinds of sinful yet wonderful foods.
Then we had a really scary thing happen. All the kids had been outside playing for awhile and the adults were visiting or sleeping on the couches. When a whole heard of kids ran in screaming that someone had fallen off the 12 ft. deck. And as it turns out it was my middle child Todd. My heart just sunk. Every horrible thing I could possibly imagine ran through my head. But as it happens his guardian angels were on duty that day and he came out of the whole thing with the biggest goose egg I've ever seen and just a few scratches and bruises on his left rib cage.(see picture) He even got up on his own and ran inside the basement doors of the house before we could get to him.
Another blessing we had was that one of our nieces is a nurse and she was able to check his eyes for a concussion, look at his ribs and listen to his breathing to make sure he didn't have a collapsed lung. His Dad and uncle gave him a blessing and everything really calmed down from there.
Later I learned the whole story of what happened because at the time of the accident it was all bits and pieces from what felt like hundreds of little mouths. I guess some of the older boys were climbing from the back deck railing to a cement retaining wall that goes up to the grass on the front yard. And my Todd who has zero fear thought he could do it right along with them. I guess he made it across to the wall the first time, but then when he tried to climb back over the railing to the deck he wasn't quite tall enough to reach. The bruises on his side were from hitting the dog run fence and then he landed on a lawn mower instead of the concrete. I'm really not sure if he hit his head on the side of the deck on the way down or when he landed. All I know is that there are a million things that could of happened to him and he's been running around all week just fine. We are so blessed. Some of you know and some of you don't, but Todd's my baby who was born with Gastroskeisis and was life flighted to Primary Children's. He definitely has a fighting spirit. And he just might be the death of me! But I know that this special little boy is supposed to stay on this earth for some reason. It'll be a chore, but I'm going to do my best to point him in the right direction. I'd like to say, "thanks". To everyone who helped us out on Sunday. It was such a relief to know there were worthy men all around us to help give him a priesthood blessing. Yesterday I even received a call from a friend, who told me her family had been praying for Todd and that she just wanted to check up on him. We are so blessed.

9 comments:

LIZ said...

Wow that is scary! I am glad that he is doing alright. Crazy boys! Stories like that make me happy that I have girls. You sure do have your hands full but it sounds like you are doing a great job.

Megan said...

That is a crazy story and picture! I am so glad that he is okay. Kids are so resilient, but he was definitely being looked out for. Boo about the cold! It is snowing here right now after having 2 gorgeous days in a row. I am glad all we have planted in our garden is onions so far!

Heather K said...

Thank goodness he's alright. We're so blessed to have worthy priesthood holders!

Phil and Kelly said...

Wow I am glad he is okay. It sounds like you all had a fun Easter too!!!!

Samantha said...

Oh dear! Talk about a mom's worst nightmare!!!!! I'm glad he's doing okay! I will keep him in my prayers as well!!!

The White's said...

I am so worried for when those days come because I don't know what to do in situations like that, I'd probably just freak out. I am glad he is okay. Hope all else is going well.

Jenny said...

oh boys....sigh... growing up we made several emergency runs on sundays to doctors and dentists when my brothers would get too rough.... we've had a couple of teeth knocked out in my family! Goodness- yep boys do bounce!
I love the birds!!

Chelsi Lasater said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Todd!! I am so glad he is ok! Are you ok?! Do you need anything? Shani...you need to put him in a marshmallow suit!!

Natasha said...

I'm so glad your little guy is ok. I can't even imagine what must have been going through your mind and heart why you raced out to him. Such a lucky guy. At first I could not tell what that first picture was, OUCH!

Blog Archive